When connected to the Mac, this microscope acts just like an external drive such as a flash USB memory or a digital camera.
Here’s the procedure for getting the image files:
- Turn on your Mac and let it fully boot.
- Plug in the microscope to AC power.
- Plug in the USB cable to the Mac.
- Plug in the USB cable to the microscope. For the #44310, the microscope will display “Connecting PC.” The Mac will create a drive icon labeled “Untitled” on the desktop. It may also open iPhoto.
- Click on the drive icon. IInside will be a folder called DCIM; in that folder will be another called 100DSCIM containing the files for still images and video.
- The JPG files will open when clicked with the Mac’s Preview app. iPhoto will not show the images when it opens. However, it will show to the lower left “USB Camera” and the import button will be highlighted. Click to import and the microscope’s still images will be added to the photo library.
- The AVI files will open in QuickTime Player. You can also open the movie with the iMovie app. File > Import will open a window for you to browse for the Untitled drive and the DCIM etc. folders.