It is best to protect your Advanced GT SCT telescope from the elements by bringing it inside between observing sessions. Here are a few tips:
1. Allow the scope to warm up once it is brought inside. Uncover all optics and let the tube and tripod sit in the open. Moisture (dewing and condensation) will evaporate off the scope, and it can then be safely stored.
2. Put on the front lens cover and the tube cap to prevent dust accumulation, insect invasion or inadvertent damage to the optics.
3. The scope should be stored at room temperature and is best not to expose to extreme temperature and humidity while in storage. Keep it out of direct sunlight.
4. Protect the scope and tripod from dust and dirt with a cover or case.
5. Remove the SCT optical tube from the mount to store separately from the mount. Your scope can be stored either horizontally or vertically.
Here are some points to keep in mind that may dictate your storage preference:
- Orienting the tube vertically upwards puts the least long-term stress on the focusing mechanism from the mirror’s weight.
- Racking the mirror all the way to the back of the tube (clockwise or near-focus) puts the least stress on the baffle-spindle that supports the mirror's weight.