Note: The cable version sold from approximately 2009 to the end of 2011, has a mini-CD labeled “Drivers & Utility” with a greenish cast and images of five computer devices. The instructions below pertain to this cable.
Please follow the instructions below if you experience problems using your USB to RS232 #18775 cable with Windows. These instructions are helpful for XP through Windows 7 operating systems. The details below are for Vista. They may differ but overall the steps are very similar for each system.
1. Plug the cable into a USB port on your computer.
2. Place the CD into the CD drive on your computer.
3. Press the Start button in the lower left corner.
4. Click the Device Manager icon from the Control panel window. Device Manager may be located inside the System folder in some versions of Windows.
5. Under Ports, look for the device that says "USB to Serial" or "Serial Bridge" and click with the right mouse button.
6. From the Driver tab, click the Update Drivers button.
7. Click on "Browse my computer for drive software."
8. Press the Browse button and select the CD drive on your computer and press OK and select it.
9. Press the Next button to install the driver on to your computer.
If you don't have the mini-CD or would like further information, go to Prolific's website for this cable (known by them as the PL-2303):
Drivers for PL-2303:
Manual for Prolific PL-2303: