When connected to the Mac, this microscope acts just like an external drive such as a flash USB memory or a digital camera.
Here’s the procedure for getting the image files:
- Turn on your Mac and let it fully boot.
- Plug the microscope into AC power.
- Plug the USB cable into the Mac.
- Plug the USB cable into the microscope.
- Power up the microscope. Within 10 seconds a screen with “USB connected “should appear. The Mac will create a drive icon labeled “NO_NAME” on the desktop. It may also open iPhoto.
- Click on the drive icon. Inside will be a folder called DCIM; in that folder will be another called 100COACH containing the files for still images and video.
- The JPG files will open when clicked with the Mac’s Preview app. iPhoto will not show the images when it opens. However, it will show to the lower left “Coach DSC” and the import button will be highlighted. Click to import and the microscope’s still images will be added to the photo library.
- The AVI files will open in QuickTime Player. You can also open the movie with the iMovie app. File > import will open a window for you to browse for the NO_NAME drive and the DCIM etc. folders.