It is best to protect your NexStar SE telescope from the elements by bringing it inside between observing sessions. Here are a few tips:
1. Allow the scope to warm up when brought inside.
2. Uncover all optics and let the tube and tripod sit in the open. Moisture (dewing and condensation) will evaporate off the scope and can then be safely stored.
3. Put on the front lens cover and the tube cap to prevent dust accumulation, insect invasion or inadvertent damage to the optics.
The scope should be stored at room temperature. It is best not to expose to extreme temperature and humidity while in storage. Keep it out of direct sunlight. Protect the scope and tripod from dust and dirt with a cover or case.
Remove the SCT tube to store it separately from the single-arm mount. While your scope can be stored either horizontally or vertically, here are some points to keep in mind that may dictate your storage preference:
- Orienting the tube upwards puts the least long-term stress on the focusing mechanism from the mirror’s weight.
- If you keep the SE tube on the mount, a vertically downwards orientation with the cover flush against the base and clamp tightened puts the least long-term stress on the mount’s drive mechanism.
- Racking the mirror all the way to the back of the tube (clockwise or near-focus) puts the least stress on the baffle-spindle that supports the mirror's weight.