CGEM 925 HD Computerized Telescope
- Product Review (submitted on December 24, 2011):
I had a Celestron NexStar 80GTL for 5+ years... one day, I realized, it's time to step up... choosing Celestron as my next telescope was not hard, but find right model with right budget is hard... Initially, I was thinking to get AS GT, but CGEM caught my eyes... It looks good in both design and specs. Since, I do some photography, EdgeHD is nice idea, but adding some burden to my budget. Otherwise I will go for a 1100 instead of 925 model. However, after a long research, there are only a hair of difference between 925 and 1100. So that eases up my budget to get EdgeHD. However, I was seriously thinking about getting a 800... After I compare the specs, it seems 800 having a 1.25" eyepiece but 925 will step up to 2". Thinking about this will last me for a long time; I better get something I won't regret.
- Great image (compare to the 6", that I used at school lab...)
- Sturdy design
- Not "too" heavy for myself to move around and setup (but it is heavy!)
- Motorized drives are quiet
- 2" to 1.25 adaptor for my old 1.25" eyepieces and star diagonal
- Firmware upgradable for Hand Control and Motor Control
- Serial cable is included! (I have to build one for my old 80GTL last time...)
- One 2" 23mm eyepiece.... it's huge and heavy....
- HyperStar compatible.....
- A great toy to show off to your friends....
- Not a cheap toy...
- Manual needs some updates
- No filter include (either solar filter or light-pollution filter will be nice...)
- No Lens Shade (not expensive, but why not make it free....)
- No GPS or can’t use any 3rd party’s (cell phone, Bluetooth GPS , USB GPS…. etc.)
- No serial to USB (it's getting harder and harder to find the adaptor in local store...)
- Firmware update need some work, the verify function for MC v6.17 can't verify...
- NexRemote 30 days trial? (since it says "trial", I didn't bother to install it... So, I use Stellarium)
- no T-adaptor (with EdgeHD, one might think this is for taking astro photo....)
- maybe a coupon for HyperStar will be nice...
Personally, the "cons" are not really issue... either can be "fix" or spend more budget to upgrade accessories.