| Date Posted:
All NexStar Evolution telescopes use long life lithium iron phosphate batteries with numerous advantages over traditional lithium cobalt oxide designs. You can learn more about LiFePO4 batteries and how they differ from LiCoO2 batteries by visiting these two Wikipedia pages:
In addition to the longer cycle life and longer calendar life of lithium iron phosphate relative to more traditional chemistries, here are a few useful facts:
- LiFePO4 has higher current or peak-power ratings than LiCoO2.
- The use of phosphates avoids certain environmental concerns, particularly about cobalt entering the environment through improper disposal.
- High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss of LiCoO2 cells. In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by high charge states.
- Unlike other lithium ion batteries, LiFePO4 can deliver virtually full power until it is discharged.
- One important advantage of LiFePO4 over other lithium-ion chemistries is thermal and chemical stability, which improves battery safety.