June 17, 2020
Who are we? Celestron is a leader and manufacturer of optical telescopes, spotting scopes, and binoculars located in Torrance, CA. Our telescopes and mounts are used in universities, governmental space programs, and by amateur astronomers around the world.
What do we do? We are dedicated to promoting the importance of science education and dark-sky preservation throughout our communities. We partner with STEM and outdoor initiatives around the world and we are committed to fostering intellectual curiosity in new generations of scientists, engineers, and outdoor enthusiast through our innovative products.
We are currently looking for an energetic, self-motivated, and responsible individual to fill a full-time position within our Distribution Center as our Warehouse/Distribution Manager. This is an exciting position that allows for growth and development within the company. We appreciate cross functionality and encourage team members to work in other departments to gain additional experience. We’ve had tremendous success in promoting from within the company. If you are fascinated with astronomy and have a passion for learning something new, this is the perfect fit for you!
Celestron has more to offer than the usual competitive salary; medical, dental, and vision benefit packets; and a 401K plan. We also offer:
- Employee discounts for you, your friends, and family members
- Holiday lunches and BBQs on the house
- Flex schedule for hourly employees
- Local and national discounts
- Occasional, early leave days
- Car Wash Service
- Departmental trips and outings
What you will do:
- Responsible for all warehouse operations, including the safe & efficient management of all warehouse staff, including safety programs and certifications of forklift drivers.
- Manage shipping & receiving activities, and assigned duties using specific performance goals and metrics.
- Oversee inventory levels, movement of product with proper equipment, and efficient storage of product.
- Perform daily inventory cycle counts and execute the annual physical inventory.
- Manage outbound shipments and documentation, including export documentation and shipment compliance.
- Ensures shipments are packaged using appropriate materials and methods.
- Manage freight carriers, negotiate rates and contracts.
- Coordinates shipments for Mass Retailers using specifications outlined in Vendor Manuals and Routing Guides.
- Complete regular department reports to evaluate trends and fluctuations in demand. Use this data to create process strategies and plan staffing changes to meet company revenue goals.
What you will bring to the table:
- 5+ years Warehouse Management including shipping, receiving and stockroom experience.
- A strong strategic vision, top notch leadership skills with ability to train and develop personnel.
- Must have inventory control, shipping compliance, and safety compliance knowledge.
- Computer literate, proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to operate forklifts and train staff as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- AA degree required; BS degree preferred.
What are the Physical Demands and Work Environment?
- Standing: 1-2 hours at one time. 3-4 hours during a regular work day.
- Sitting: 1-2 hours at one time. 4-6 hours during a regular work day.
- Walking: .15 hours at one time. 1-2 hours during a regular work day.
- Lifting/Carrying: Continuous up to 5 pounds. Occasionally up to 55 pounds.
- The duties of this position are performed in an office inside of our warehouse. Employees are regularly exposed to moving vehicles and loud noise.
To apply for this position, please e-mail your cover letter and to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may fax your résumé to: 310-328-4061. No phone calls please.