- The world’s most beloved telescope! The classic, 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain revolutionized amateur astronomy in the 1970s. Now, the iconic “orange tube” design is updated with all the latest features to provide the best stargazing experience for beginners and experienced observers alike.
- Large, 8-inch aperture with excellent light-gathering ability provides spectacular views of the Moon and planets, along with deep sky objects like the Whirlpool Galaxy and Hercules Globular Cluster.
- Fully automated, GoTo mount with database of 40,000+ celestial objects automatically locates and tracks objects for you.
- SkyAlign technology gets your telescope aligned and ready to observe in minutes. Even if you’re unfamiliar with the night sky, you can easily align your telescope on any three bright objects.
- Unique single fork arm design and sturdy steel tripod all break down into separate components for easy transport and quick assembly.
ITEM # 11069
Celestron’s signature orange-tube telescope combines advanced features and excellent optics in one easy-to-use system, the NexStar 8SE. It’s the perfect choice for your first serious telescope, offering impressive views at an economical price.
Our Founder’s Vision, Reimagined for the 21st Century
In the 1970s, the classic Celestron 8 brought the hobby of astronomy to the masses and established Celestron as the world’s premier telescope maker. Our founder, Tom Johnson, invented Celestron’s proprietary method of producing Schmidt corrector plates for superior views and maximum portability. Johnson believed in creating high-quality optical instruments at an affordable price, and inspired a generation of amateur astronomers.
Four decades later, we’ve improved upon this design by adding cutting-edge features, while staying true to our founder’s intent.
Big Mirror, Small Price
With a full 8 inches of aperture, the 8SE reveals details in even the faintest celestial objects. With this much light-gathering ability, you’ll clearly observe Cassini’s Division in Saturn’s rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and the Great Red Spot. Beyond the solar system, your 8SE will show you hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more. And don’t forget the Moon—you’ll see craters and geographic features like never before.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. That’s why Celestron’s engineers created NexStar SE’s unique, patented single fork arm mount. It’s perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. What’s more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. You’ll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard.
Of course, it’s what’s inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with pushbutton ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible.
Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Advanced Features Let the NexStar SE Grow with You
The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Control your telescope using your iPhone or iPad with our SkyQ Link, or add GPS functionality with SkySync.
If you’re interested in astroimaging, the NexStar SE is Fastar-compatible for ultra-fast, wide field imaging. For planetary imaging, there’s no better choice than a NexStar 8SE paired with one of our Skyris cameras. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
|Optical Tube Info:|
|Aperture (mm)||203.2 mm (8 in)|
|Focal Length||2032 mm (80 in)|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm)||25 mm (0.98 in)|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1||81 x|
|Mount Type||Single Fork Arm Altazimuth|
|Tripod||Steel (sku 93593)|
|Power Requirements||8-AA batteries (not included)|
|Highest Useful Magnification||480 x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||29 x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||14|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.69 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.57 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||843 x|
|Apparent Field of View||0.63 °|
|Linear Field of View (@1000 yds)||33 ft (10 m)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||2.5 in (64 mm)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||31%|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||9.77%|
|Optical Coatings||Starbright XLT|
|Optical Tube Length||17 in (432 mm)|
|Total Telescope Kit Weight||33 lbs (15 kg)|
|Tripod Weight||9 lbs (4.08 kg)|
|Slew Speeds||Nine slew speeds|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes||Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South|
|Alignment Procedures||SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Solar System Align|
|Communication Ports||RS-232 communication port on hand control, Autoguider port, Aux port|
|Computer Hand Control||Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons|
|Database||40,000 objects, 200 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Warranty||2-year Telescope Warranty|
Warranty 2 Years
For two years, Celestron will cover repairs or replacement of this product in cases of defective components. This warranty shall be void and of no force of effect in the event a covered product has been modified in design or function, or subjected to abuse, misuse, mishandling or unauthorized repair. Further, product malfunction or deterioration due to normal wear is not covered by this warranty. For more details, visit our Warranty page.
Where to Buy
You can count on our Premier Select dealers to offer an extensive selection of telescopes, binoculars, and microscopes in stock for immediate delivery. As our trusted partners, they provide advanced product expertise and superior customer service.
Celestron Premier Plus dealers carry a range of Celestron products. As our trusted partners, they provide advanced product expertise and superior customer service.
- Astronomy Basics (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
- Celestial Observing (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
- Celestron Firmware Manager DOWNLOAD
- NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE Manual (French)
- NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE Manual
- NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE Manual (Italian)
- NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE Manual (Spanish)
- NexStar Communication Protocol v 1.2
- NexStar SE Series Info Sheet
- Quick Setup Guide for NexStar 6 SE and 8 SE
- Telescope Basics (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
- Telescope Maintenance (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
- Knowledgebase Articles
- My StarPointer red-dot finderscope battery is dead. How do I replace it?
- My NexStar hand control has firmware version 4.19. Yet when I use the latest NexRemote with my scope, I can only get version 4.16. Is this an issue?
- My NexStar SE mount is moving in the wrong direction when I use the direction arrows at slower slew rates. How can I change the direction of the direction buttons?
- I am using rechargeable batteries with my Celestron GoTo mount, and the mount will not power up even though the batteries are new and fully charged. What’s the problem?
- I want to autoguide with my Alt-Azimuth mount for long-exposure astrophotography. Will this work?
- I have my Celestron GoTo Alt-Az scope on a wedge and the hand control shows a slew limit warning. What’s wrong?
- How do I wedge align my scope using All-Star polar alignment?
- How do I program my Nexstar+ hand control?
- I’m experiencing motion to the east after slews with my Celestron Alt-Az GoTo mount. Is this backlash, and how do I correct it?
- What are the approximate weights of the tripods, mount arms and optical tube assemblies (OTAs) for the NexStar SE series?