Celestron’s newest planetarium app is an astronomy suite that redefines how you experience the night sky. Explore the Solar System, 120,000 stars, over 200 star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites—including the ISS. SkyPortal includes everything you need to experience the night sky in an exciting new way.
Best of all, you can even control your compatible Celestron telescope from your device using WiFi technology.
The telescope experts at Celestron have partnered with the renowned app developers at SkySafari to provide the best planetarium experience you'll find in a free mobile app. SkyPortal is compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
What's New in Version 1.4
- Support for Alt Az telescopes using an equatorial wedge.
- Improvements to night vision mode.
- Improvements to the UI for using saved settings.
- Added support for push notifications.
- Fixed problem where some planet surfaces and horizons would not draw correctly during an update of the orbital elements.
- Stability improvements.
- SkyPortal's intutive Compass Mode enables you to hold your device up to the night sky and instantly identify stars, planets, galaxies, and more. Zoom in to view fainter objects not visible to the naked eye.
- View a custom list of all the best celestial objects to view based on your time, date, and location.
- Simulate the night sky up to 100 years in the past or future to plan your observing session. Look ahead to see when Jupiter's Great Red Spot will be visible. Or animate a lunar eclipse such as the "Blood Moon" so you know what to expect before you set up your telescope.
- View hundreds of astronomical photographs and NASA spacecraft images. Or listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
- Night Vision Mode helps you preserve your eyesight after dark.
Computerized Telescope Control
Pair your device to your compatible Celestron WiFi telescope, such as NexStar Evolution, or any compatible Celestron telescope equipped with SkyQ Link. Fast and easy alignment options allow you to align your telescope in minutes without any prior knowledge of the night sky. Tap any object and your telescope automatically centers it in the eyepiece.
SkyPortal’s telescope alignment incorporates advanced mount modeling, providing better pointing accuracy than other telescope systems that rely on a dedicated computer.
SkyPortal is compatible with Android 4.0 and higher.
Although SkyPortal works on a variety of Android devices, the following devices are supported: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note, Note 2, Note 3, Tab, Tab 2, Tab 3.